Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Gauntlet Thrown Down

Gabriel Isagani reports from the Irineo Cruz Memorial Stadium to get Mar Queno's response to the resounding challenge issued by Saturnino Venta of Valencia Daemon.



And picked up.

The recent challenge from Valencia Daemon came as no surprise to The Cobbler Confederate, seeing as how The Shoemakers remain undefeated this season. It was only a matter of time before rival teams expressed their discomfort at the dominance displayed by Marikina United Football Club. I had the chance to discuss this with the Sublime Supremo this afternoon after a long day of training and he had this to say:

'Them's fighting words, eh? I've been looking at the Demon Hunters squad and I'm sure they'll put up a fantastic effort. We look forward to meeting them on the pitch with their new manager Saturnino Venta. If the team performs half as well under him as they did under Kaizer Valencia we're in for a tough match indeed. Perhaps it's time to unleash the new formation we've been playing around with.. even old dogs like me sometimes have new tricks, after all. /wink'

I then pressed him for his reaction regarding how the challenge was worded as some would say it bordered on the disrespectful and Mar Queno replied:

'I don't see anything wrong with what he said. He just feels very strongly about his team, and rightly so! No player would do his best for a manager who's lukewarm. That would be the greatest disrespect to the team, to the fans, to the game. We're not children and a healthy amount of trash talking is acceptable, in my opinion. I appreciate the zeal of Mr. Venta, I even wish other managers would show such bravado! It makes the match more interesting, don't you think?'

Popping a cooler open at the pitch side bench, MQ then handed me an almost too cold Cerveza Negra as he got one for himself. Sitting down and watching the cheerleaders practice, he offered me some Lapid's chicharon (pork crackling). I guess this is the proverbial calm before the storm.

Gabriel Isagani, Philippine Daily Star


No comments: